Tuesday, March 22, 2011

And the Journey Begins

We signed the contract on our new house Sunday and I'm already thinking about how I want to decorate the place. When it comes to decorating, though, I lack vision. I can look at rooms in other houses and tell you what I like and what I don't. But pulling something together myself? Seems impossible. I've always lived with a jumbled mess of second-hand junk thrown together. I live like someone with their first apartment in college. And now that I'm almost 40 years old, I don't want to live that way ever again.

So I'm starting this blog to help me along the way. This is where I'll store decorating ideas that I like, and make notes of things I want to buy (or would love to buy if money were no issue!). I want to have a process in place, and work room by room. I want to paint and hang things on the walls. I want everything I own to have a function or to inspire me or evoke a very sentimental memory. I want there to be a place for everything. I want a clean look, natural and soothing. But I also want color and cheerfulness.

The journey starts as we pack and think about what we will get rid of and what we will bring to the new house, and where it all will go. I'm excited and hoping to stay focused.

2 comments:

  1. Yea!!! I'm a big believer in mixing expensive and inexpensive items. Most people would never know. One nice item from PB or a nice furniture store can really class up a joint, ya know? My den is a mix of PB, IKEA, Wal-Mart, Crate & Barrell and Z-Gallerie. I definitely have a feel/color scheme I like, though, so stuff I bought last weekend tends to mix well with stuff I bought in 1999. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I can't believe I didn't see this sooner. Your house is sooo cute! Is it in NW DC or in Chevy Chase-ish? It's totally cute, and I am so with you on the decorating thing. I JUST told my husband yesterday (no kidding) that whenever we move into a new house (this millenium, God-willing) I am going to REALLY decorate this time! So I will be following your journey. Maybe I'll get some good ideas! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete