When you walk up the stairs, to the right is the entrance to the master bedroom. The sitting room comes first, with its wall of built-in bookshelves. I heart the built-ins! I'm thinking of painting the master bedroom and sitting room a khaki color, and painting the wall behind the shelves a deep, almost-navy blue. I'm not sure how that would look, though.
In the above picture, with your back to the bedroom area, the door on the left leads into the hallway, and the one on the right that you can barely see leads onto the balcony or deck. I love this balcony, too, and hope that Ed and I make use of it. The railing is very low, so the kids will not be allowed out there until we can put in a safer railing.
Back to the master bedroom, if you do a 180-degree turn from the sitting room picture above, you'll be staring at the bedroom area. The door to the right leads to the bathroom and closet.
The bathroom is long and narrow, with two separate vanities. The walls are a gray, concrete color, and they're painted to mimic cement blocks. It probably took someone a lot of time to make the walls look that way, but I'm not crazy about it. I'll probably live with it for a while, though.
The above picture faces the doorway out of the bathroom, which leads to a little area with the second vanity. To the right of that is the huge closet. Both the bathroom and the closet are on the front side of the house and have the dormer windows. When you're facing the house, the two windows to the right are the bathroom and closet. Anyway, here's the closet, with your back to the dormer window. Turn left at the chest, and you'll be in the little bathroom antechamber with the vanity.
The closet is long and narrow and has built-in shelves, and a row of pull-out shelves for shoes. (You can just see the pull-out shelves on the left.) You can also see the pull-down attic door. The attic is huge and will provide lots of storage space. I'm hoping that we'll weed out so much stuff before the move, there won't be a whole lot to store! I'm pretty psyched about having such a big closet.
But back to the rest of the second floor. At the top of the stairs, if you go to the left, you'll enter one of the bedrooms--William's room. It's pretty big, but it doesn't have a closet. Right now, that's not a problem because I keep all of his clothes in the dresser. If it becomes a problem, we can get a wardrobe, or we can build a closet pretty easily. This is one side of the room.
This is the other.
His windows overlook the balcony and the back patio.
Seth's room is smaller than William's, but it has a closet. If you're at the top of the stairs, make a U-turn to the left and you'll pass the shared bathroom on the right, and then enter Seth's room. He has two windows--the dormer to the front, and the other window looks over the side of the house. I wish his room was bigger, but we will make it work. I envision some kind of loft system in the future, but that will be a ways down the road. This is one side of the room, the one with windows.
This is the other end of the room:
I want to paint all of the bedrooms, but I'll probably start with Seth's. The paint looks yellow in this picture, but it's actually orange. Not sure what color to paint it, because I don't really have a theme for his room yet. Maybe we'll just start with a light blue. Decisions, decisions.
So that concludes the tour of our new home! I can't wait to get started on some after pictures.









I can't believe they staged the house with nudes on the wall!!!
ReplyDeleteLove the built-ins... so jealous!
LOL Lindsay! The pictures weren't there when we went to look at the house. I also thought their bathroom was really messy for the staged pictures. Having looked at so many places online, I often wondered what the sellers and agents were thinking when they were taking the pictures. It doesn't take that much effort to remove crap from a counter top for a photo shoot!
ReplyDeleteI heart the built-ins AND your closet!!!
ReplyDeleteIn my 1950s Baltimore rowhouse, the closets are the size of the wide end of an ironing board.
I would sell one of the babies for the closet you have!! Well...maybe just rent one out for a day rate.
The house is adorable. Love it!
Very cool. Your closet is amazing! And having two vanities is awesome... I think a must for a master bath. (Ours doesn't have two - which is why I use the guest bathroom around the corner as "my" bathroom.)
ReplyDelete